Tips for transitioning from a two-income to a one-income family
One Income Families: From Two Incomes to One
One-Income Families: At-Home Income
One-Income Families: Choosing To Stay Home
One-Income Families: Saving Money
Working At Home
It is becoming more and more challenging to raise a family on one income in a two-income world. We have chosen to focus on reducing our expenses instead of trying to increase our income. We have tried doing these 14 things to help us accomplish this goal.Be Prepared to Quit Your Job
I recently left my job to go out on my own for the first time. I've been working towards this point for a while, but here's an overview of how I got to the point where I could become a quitter and how you can do the same.The Convincing Telecommuter
Maybe you want to stay home with your kids, and save time and money on commuting and office wear, but what's in it for your boss? How can you convince your boss to let you become a telecommuter? Here are some points you can lay out before your boss.Going from Two Incomes to One
A decision to transition from two incomes to one begins with a detailed examination of household finances. There will be ways to cut expenses, live on less, or live differently. Keep in mind that it is not how much money you earn, it's how much you spend, and how much you mange to keep, that will determine how successful you will be.A Decision to Stay Home
Even though I was afraid of not having enough money to live on, I made the decision to quit my job on the good faith of my abilities to cut back or drop my spending habits, and to save money in every possible situation I could. If you're a working mother that yearns to be home raising your children, here are some valuable lessons I learned from my experience.Making the Transition to At-Home Mom
Perhaps you're hoping to make the transition from working full-time outside of your home to working part-time, or staying home full-time. With the commitment of yourself and your husband, you can be home with your family! Here's how.A 6 Month Stay-at-Home Mom Plan
If you're looking for an easy answer to staying at home, this isn't it. But if you're willing to work hard and make some trade-offs, staying home with your kids can become a reality. Here is a six month stay-at-home mom plan to help you realize your goal.Route to One Income
After many chats, my huisband and I decided we wanted me to be home with our kids and that we would have to change our way of life. This is how we tightened the money belt and made it happen.An Odyssey into Frugality: How I Became a Miserly Mom
Parenthood brings about many changes -- but frugality was not one that I expected. My husband and I had a pleasant lifestyle. Adding a child made it even more pleasant. But, as the years went by, I could see that I had to make a choice. What was best for my child?Leaving a Crazy Lifestyle Behind
For two income families looking to make a transition to one income, one family who made it happen advises you do these things in order to be successful.Stay-at-Home Dad
For this family, it's a one-income lifestyle with a twist: Dad, not Mom, stays home with baby. Here is Dad's advice for stay-at-home dad wannabes.
Retire Early! One Income Family Plans for Financial Independence
New Business Creates One Income Family
My One Income Success Story
Becoming a One Income Family
Quit My Job to Stay Home With Kids?
Adjusting to One Income
Living on One Income
- Sign up for Dollar Stretcher Parents newsletter for time and money-saving tips for families with children delivered to your inbox weekly.
- Follow our A Frugal Family board on Pinterest
- Get advice from other TDS readers in the TDS Forums. Helpful sections include: Family and Education.
- Visit our Family section each week for our latest family articles and tips.
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
Rehab your poor financial habits before tackling the bad behavior of your kids.
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator