Tips for getting the best deals on appliance purchases
The TDS Library
Become more self-sufficient at home with a few basic household tools for your kitchen and home, and you'll notice savings over time. You'll find yourself eating better. And the kids can join in for an evening of fun.Rental Realities
Are you renting appliances? If you are, you are wasting your money. Do you know the saying "If you ask how much an item is, you can't afford it"? This is the reason fancy restaurants don't put prices next to their items.Buying a Washer and Dryer
I know to look for scratch and dent pieces, overstocks, energy ratings, and so on when buying a washer and dryer. What else should I look for? What would you look for in a washer and dryer set?Time to Go Appliance Shopping?
If you've had your refrigerator, freezer or clothes washer since before your teenagers were in diapers, those old appliances may be wasting your hard-earned money. Saving money and energy may be easier than you think.Clothes Dryer Power Cords
If your existing power cord is frayed, missing insulation, or otherwise damaged, by all means replace it. Saving money is your goal, but not at the risk of burning down the house or receiving a potentially lethal electrical shockTips for Shopping for a Wringer Washer
Maytag is the name to look for if you decide to go scrounging around garage sales looking for a used one. Sometimes, depending on the area you're in, you can find a wringer washer in the back room of a used appliance dealer.Buying Used Canning Equipment
Whether you're looking for used canning jars, used canners or other second hand canning equipment, know what to look for or you'll be wasting time and money buying inferior or even dangerous equipment.Lemon Laws and Appliances
What rights do I have as a consumer? I have just called for the sixth repair on my Maytag washing machine in less than three years. Consumer rights vary from state to state, but many have a "lemon" law. Check with your State Department of Consumer Protection to see what laws your state has and how to get help. They will investigate and help you solve the problem, but be aware that they can be very slow.Tankless Water Heaters
Tankless (on-demand) water heaters save money because they have more efficient burners and don't waste energy keeping a large tank of water hot when you're not using it. They also provide endless hot water (no cold showers), take up a quarter of the space, never leak, and last twice as long as regular tank water heaters.Choosing a Space Heater
I was wondering if anyone can give some advice on which space heater is the best choice to reduce heating bills. What do you watch for? Are they expensive on electricity to run? Is it worth purchasing one?
Save Money When Buying Appliances
Buying a New Furnace
The Right Size Home Freezer
Trust the Experts When Buying Appliances
When Big Purchases Go Bad
Choosing a Crockpot(r)
Buying a Refrigerator
Why They Sell Extended Warranties
Buying a Vacuum Cleaner
Buying Power Tools
Saving with Scratch 'n' Dent Appliances
Selecting an Air Purifier
Buying a Sewing Machine
Frugal Water Softeners
Also in Home
- How to clean and restore cast-iron cookware
- Homemade fireplace logs
- Frugal ways to winterize your home
- Is it cost-effective to make your own laundry detergent?
- Recipes for homemade fabric fresheners
- Inexpensive reupholstery
- Make your own cleaners
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?