Frugal tips for cleaning all types of furniture from wood to upholstered
The TDS Library
This reader is looking for suggestions on how to clean leather furniture. Her husband's chair has "oil/grease" marks from where his head rests. Our great contributors share their ideas on cleaning leather furniture.Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture
Looking for a solution for removing mildew from the plastic strips on motel-type outdoor furniture? After trying baking soda, vinegar, ammonia, etc. to no avail, you may want to try this idea from The Natural Handyman.Problem Pet Hair on Carpet & Furniture
This reader has two cats and is having trouble getting the cat hair out of her low-pile carpets and off furniture. She's tried vacuuming it with several different vacuum cleaners, but it's not working. Our contributors share their ways to successfully remove pet hair from furniture and carpeting.Leather Upholstery Repair
Do you have a piece of leather furniture that has developed a crack or tear? Our readers suggest ways to repair leather upholstery.
She has a couch and loveseat that are cream, almost white, that really need to be cleaned. She wants to try cleaning them herself and is looking for ideas on how to go about it. Our readers share their suggestions.Removing Odor from a Smelly Chest
A beautiful old cedar chest given to her, but unfortunately, when she opened it, it smelled like mice had inhabited the chest and left an odor of mouse excrement. She's tried airing the chest and putting in some cedar chips, but the smell persists. Our contributors suggest ways to get rid of the smell.Removing Water Stains from Furniture
Is there a way to remove water spots on wood furniture? Our contributors share their creative suggestion on how to remove water spots, including plain old peanut butter.Cleaning Old Wood Furniture
They just received a 100-year-old piano and are unsure how to care for it. Her parents were smokers, so she assumes there is a smoke build-up on it. She doesn't know how to tell how heavy the wax build-up is, but the surface is dull. What's the best way for the initial cleanup and what would work best for upkeep? Our contributors share some ideas.Eliminating Musty Storage Smells
She has a storage unit with the contents of her house stored in it. Among her items, she has a couch with matching chair that are in perfect condition, but have gained an awful musty smell. She's looking for suggestions on how to remedy this. Our readers share some ideas.DIY Upholstery Cleaning
Has anyone cleaned a "professional clean only" piece of furniture? She has a recliner that needs to be cleaned. She's tempted to use her power steamer's upholstery attachment with either water or a water and vinegar solution. Our readers share their thoughts.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?