A good understanding of how Social Security works can help you make the most of your benefits
Social Security Basics and FAQs
These 7 mistakes that could reduce your benefits.How Social Security Works: Nuts and Bolts of the Benefits Program
This important thread in the fabric of the economy still helps prevent poverty in old age.Don't Wait Until Retirement to Learn these 5 Things about Social Security
You probably know less than you think about when to claim Social Security.
7 Little-Known Social Security Benefits You May Not Know About
Knowing these rules may make a difference in how much you'll get in Social Security benefits.Social Security Benefits If You’ve Been Married More Than Once
Could you be getting a bigger check each month?If I Continue to Work, Will My Social Security Check Grow?
If you're still on the job, your benefits can still go up. Find out how it works.Don't Fall into these Social Security Traps
If you earn too much, your benefits might be taxed -- or even reduced. Follow these tips.How a Restricted Application for Social Security Spousal Benefits Works
A restricted application can be a better Social Security filing strategy. Find out why.Social Security Survivor Benefits for Widows, Widowers
Make provisions for a secure financial future for your spouse. Here's a handy guide.Does a Widow Get Social Security for Two?
Grief can be followed by disappointment when survivors benefits are misunderstood.Can Your Social Security Check be Garnished?
Most creditors can't garnish your monthly check, but a few do, including the IRS.Can I Cash My Late Husband's Social Security Check?
Here's what happens if you cash a dead spouse's check.
You've learned how to work smarter, not harder.
After 50 Finances is a weekly newsletter dedicated to people just like you. Subscribe and start saving today!
Most people don't pay tax on their government benefits, but here's when they do.Will my Social Security Benefits Get Cut if I Work?
Here's what happens to your Social Security if your earnings exceed a certain amount.Do Social Security Benefits Change if I Move?
Social Security spousal benefits may change for some Americans if they move. Here's why.When Spouse Dies, When Do Social Security Benefit Payments End?
When someone collecting Social Security dies, rules govern when benefits are halted.
Baby Boomer Tools & Resources
- A tool to determine the best time to take Social Security benefits
- Get out of debt before you retire
- Get free answers to financial questions
- Get free answers to legal questions
- Retirement shortfall calculator
- Life expectancy calculator
- IRA required minimum distribution calculator
- More retirement planning calculators
Trending in Baby Boomers
- Investing retirement money that you may never need
- Financial tips when nearing retirement
- Why pay off your mortgage with a reverse mortgage loan?
- 3 ways retirees can tap into their home equity
- 2 reasons to collect Social Security benefits as soon as possible
- Talking to aging parents about finances
- Should you create a trust?
- Budget friendly ways to turn back the clock
- This week's Readers' Tips