Understanding health insurance deductions and FSAs
This tax season marks the debut of the Obamacare penalty for Americans who last year failed to have health insurance as required under the Affordable Care Act. Here are some ways to avoid the uninsured penalty.What to Know About Filling Out Obamacare Tax Forms
The Affordable Care Act became a law in 2010. And now, during the 2015 tax season, almost every American must deal with the tax realities of the health care law popularly known as Obamacare. Here's a look at seven pieces of Obamacare tax paperwork that many taxpayers are likely to encounter.Can I Deduct COBRA Insurance Premiums?
"My husband took early retirement. Then his old employer told him he could work just enough hours to pay for the COBRA insurance. So they will issue him a check each week minus deductions, then we will pay the COBRA ourselves. It will cost $1,102 each month. Is this going to be a tax deduction at the end of the year? "Deduct Health Insurance Premium?
The Small Business Jobs Act made a sole proprietor's health insurance costs more in line with corporate-sponsored plans. Under the SBJA provisions, a Schedule C filer gets to reduce self-employment income by the amount of deductible heath insurance premiums paid during the year.
FSA Saves Money, Cuts Taxes
Workplace benefits can not only provide you and your family with much-needed services, but some of them also can help cut your federal tax bill. One of the most popular benefits is a flexible spending account, often referred to as an FSA. As helpful as these accounts are, they have one big drawback: the use-it-or-lose-it requirement that costs workers millions of dollars each year.Reduce Your Medical Bills with an FSA
Flexible spending accounts allow employees to set aside a certain amount of each paycheck into an account in pretax dollars. During the year, participants have access to this account for reimbursement of medical expenses not covered by insurance, such as health insurance co-pays or necessary medical products.Maximizing Your Medical Deductions
Medical costs seem to increase every year. There is a way to get Uncle Sam to foot some of the doctor bills, but you need to make sure you know and follow the rules.
Are Health Insurance Premiums Tax-Deductible?
"I took early retirement from my past employer and took the option of keeping the health insurance as a retiree. Are health insurance premiums tax-deductible? It is really good insurance, better than what I can get at my current employer, and it's available to me at the retiree rate as long as I live."
Trending on TDS
- 5 features to look for in a balance transfer card
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- A widow's guide to managing money on your own
- Bank loyalty rewards you might be missing out on
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Do you pay more because of variable pricing?
- Are you stealing your own money?
- Spending to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- How to stop abusive debt collection practices
- Credit card debt after the death of a spouse
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates