Your mortgage and your taxes
Even if you don't own a home, you can reduce your income tax bill. Investing in a vacation home as a rental would give you a mortgage interest and other deductions that should be better than the standard deduction. Check out these steps.IRS Filed a Tax Lien on Your Home -- Now What?
If you are past due on your federal income taxes, the Internal Revenue Service can file a tax lien against your house. A lien can complicate selling the home and make it difficult to refinance the mortgage. Check out your options.Don't Overlook Tax Break of Mortgage Points
If you have ever taken out a mortgage, you probably already know of the tax advantage provided by deducting your mortgage interest payments. But many homeowners overlook another tax break available for points paid to get a home loan. In some cases, points also could shave tax bills for folks who refinanced or got an equity loan or line of credit.Cut Taxes with Early Mortgage Payment
A little year-end attention to your mortgage payment could lower your upcoming Internal Revenue Service bill. That means your Jan. 1 mortgage statement represents interest for the month of December, making it a tax-break-eligible bill for this year. By accelerating that payment even by just a day, you get an additional tax deduction for the interest paid.Is Mortgage Payment Help Taxable?
"I am receiving money from my mortgage lender as part of a job loss mortgage protection insurance program. Are these payments taxable and if so, how would I report them?"Tax Benefit Trimmed with 15-year Mortgage
"I am eight years into a 30-year, fixed-rate mortgage with an interest rate of 5.78 percent. I have been making additional payments toward the principal and, according to my revised amortization schedule, I am actually 13 years into a 30-year loan. Is it wise to refinance into a 15-year mortgage at 3.875 percent fixed and lose the tax deduction, which I use to its fullest?"
Trending on TDS
- Do you spend to deal with stress?
- How to live like a millionaire Video
- 5 financial strategies from King Solomon
- Combining loans before a mortgage application
- Should you sell to American Pickers?
- The benefits of volunteering
- 5 steps to negotiating a better and smarter deal
- How to grow savings fast
- 3 money beliefs that hurt your finances
- A cheat sheet on tipping do's and don'ts
- 7 times you can save money by spending money
- 3 tips to get -- and maintain -- the best deals on your cable and cellphone bills
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal