Tips for managing your financial records
Taxes: Record Keeping
When it comes to tax-related documents, you should hang on to records that help you identify sources of income, keep track of expenses, determine the value of property, prepare tax returns or support claims made on those returns. Don't drown under tons of old tax forms. Here are the best ways to organize your records.4 Ways to Spy on Your CPA
How much do you really know about the guy who does your taxes? Whether you're checking out several CPAs cold turkey or just looking for information on a handful of candidates suggested by friends and family, here are four questions that will help you scope out their background before turning over your financial records.
7 Ways to Get Organized for the Tax Year
Your tax situation may not be complicated, but you still must supply the documentation the IRS demands. Don't let filing taxes become a big ordeal. It can be less frustrating and less time-consuming if you have all the material at your fingertips. Use these tips to get yourself and your tax records organized.Tax Records to Keep or Discard
Basic records are documents that everybody should keep. Although the Internal Revenue Service doesn't require you to keep your records in a particular way, it does urge taxpayers to keep them "in an orderly fashion" and in a safe place.
Don't Throw Away Your Identity
Cleaning up the tax files already? Or orther financial documents? Don't throw your identity in the trash: burn it instead. Use these guidelines to determine what cannot simply go into the trash or perhaps even the shredder.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- How to become a millionaire in 7 easy (hah!) steps
- 5 poor ways to save (and how to do better)
- 10 places to look for $500 in savings
Here are 10 ways to save $500 for when you drive, eat or travel.
- 9 savvy strategies to save for a rainy-day fund
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- Money-saving secrets of the rich and frugal
- Helping elderly parents organize must-have financial paperwork and information Expert Interview
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Turning your hobby into extra income
- Basic finance management for teens
- Positioning yourself for career advancement
- Reduce your debt with this free debt course by The Dollar Stretcher
- Reduce your debt payoff time
- Find a better credit card rate
- Get better savings & MMA rates