Make your own and save!
Ask Miserly Moms: Homemade 'Easy Bake' Oven Recipes
by Jonni McCoy
Homemade Easy Bake Oven Mixes
Let's Bake a Tradition
Q Dear Miserly Moms, My dear 8-year-old daughter received an Easy Bake Oven for Christmas this year. I know that the mixes go for about $5 for a box of four mixes. Is there a cheaper substitute for these little mixes or could I use regular cake and cookies mixes?
Thanks so much.
A My daughter loves using her Easy Bake Oven but I agree with you...there has to be a cheaper way to make cakes and cookies than buy their mixes. So we have a collection of recipes for doing it ourselves. Below are a few to get you started. Happy baking!
White Frosting Mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar -- sifted
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat milk powder 6 tablespoons vegetable shortening
In a medium bowl, combine powdered sugar and milk powder. Stir with a wire whisk to blend. With a pastry blender cut in shortening. Spoon about 1/3 cup of mixture into each of 8 small bags. Seal tightly. Makes 8 packages. For chocolate frosting, add 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa.
To use: Combine 1 package of the above mix plus 3/4 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Stir well with a spoon until smooth and creamy. Makes about 1/4 cup frosting. A drop or two of vanilla may be added if desired.
- 2 1/2 T. sugar
- 1 t. oil
- 1/8 t. vanilla extract
- 4 t. chocolate syrup
- 2 1/2 T. flour
Sir together sugar, oil, vanilla, chocolate and flour until the batter is smooth. Pour batter into greased and floured pan. Bake 15 minutes.
- 6 teaspoons flour
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 3/4 teaspoon shortening
- 1 pinch salt
- 6 teaspoons milk
Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, cocoa, shortening and salt. Add milk and stir until smooth. Pour into greased baking pan that comes with the toy oven. Bake for 12 to15 minutes. If you want white cake, omit the cocoa and add a drop or two of vanilla with the milk. Makes 1 serving.
- 2 tablespoons commercial cake mix -- such as Jiffy 1 tablespoon water
Calculator: How much life insurance do I need?
Mix cake mix and water. Place in greased toy cake pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Makes 1 serving.
Jonni McCoy is the author of "Miserly Moms-Living On One Income In A Two Income Economy" and "Frugal Families-Making The Most Of Your Hard Earned Money!"
Visit the Miserly Moms Website at miserlymoms.com
There is a new way to learn what Miserly Moms and Frugal Families have to say. Get it on tape! Audio cassette tapes are now available for each. They are recordings of workshops given by Jonni McCoy. Each is 1 hour in length and costs only $5 ! For more details, please visit miserlymoms.com.
The advice given in this column is based upon personal information and experience. For further information on the disclaimer, please visit this address: miserlymoms.com
Take the Next Step
- It's tough raising kids today! You need every time and money saving idea you can find. That's why you'll want to get our free weekly Dollar Stretcher for Parents newsletter. You'll find great ideas designed just for parents that will help your family 'live better...for less'! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Find more tips for frugal families on Pinterest. Visit our Frugal Family board.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- When your teen is ready for their first car
- Save over $2000 in baby's first year
- Get rid of lice for good!
- Ways to avoid the high cost of a divorce
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator