Brighten Your Home in the Gray Days of Winter
by Annette Rogers CID
Bringing a little warmth into your home in the dead of winter may be more challenging for some than others, depending on where you live in the country. Here in Southern California the sun shines most days and there are blooming plants and flowers all around us. But, many of you live in areas where the colors seem to disappear and the days seem grayer.
An easy way to bring a little warmth to a room decor for those that live in cold gray areas is to display pictures of outdoor summer scenes. Try flowers, green pastures, cottages with window boxes filled with blooms or any other subject that will remind you of the warm summer season. A great frugal way to achieve this is to frame photos from trips. Planned gardens such as Buchard Gardens make wonderful photo opportunities and displayed in bright colorful frames will bring a little warmth to any décor.
For those of us in warmer climates, make use of the natural flowers and bring them indoors. There is nothing like fresh flowers to brighten up a winter day. I use decorated clay pots and baskets with blooming plants in them a round my own house; the blooms will last longer than fresh-cut flowers.
Nostalgia - such as collections of old photos, picture frames, books and things from our childhoods - are great items to display. These are things we enjoy having around us on a cold dreary winter day.
Rearranging furniture is a great pastime of mine. Try arranging a room that might make it cozier in winter. Add colorful throws to the backs of sofas and chairs. Accessorize with textured throw pillows and books stacked on a coffee table.
Surrounding yourself with the things that make you feel good will add a little warmth and brighten your cold winter days.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?