Brighten Your Home in the Gray Days of Winter
by Annette Rogers CID
Bringing a little warmth into your home in the dead of winter may be more challenging for some than others, depending on where you live in the country. Here in Southern California the sun shines most days and there are blooming plants and flowers all around us. But, many of you live in areas where the colors seem to disappear and the days seem grayer.
An easy way to bring a little warmth to a room decor for those that live in cold gray areas is to display pictures of outdoor summer scenes. Try flowers, green pastures, cottages with window boxes filled with blooms or any other subject that will remind you of the warm summer season. A great frugal way to achieve this is to frame photos from trips. Planned gardens such as Buchard Gardens make wonderful photo opportunities and displayed in bright colorful frames will bring a little warmth to any décor.
For those of us in warmer climates, make use of the natural flowers and bring them indoors. There is nothing like fresh flowers to brighten up a winter day. I use decorated clay pots and baskets with blooming plants in them a round my own house; the blooms will last longer than fresh-cut flowers.
Nostalgia - such as collections of old photos, picture frames, books and things from our childhoods - are great items to display. These are things we enjoy having around us on a cold dreary winter day.
Rearranging furniture is a great pastime of mine. Try arranging a room that might make it cozier in winter. Add colorful throws to the backs of sofas and chairs. Accessorize with textured throw pillows and books stacked on a coffee table.
Surrounding yourself with the things that make you feel good will add a little warmth and brighten your cold winter days.
Also in Home
- DIY backyard waterfall
- Painting a basement floor
- Make your own laundry detergent
- Do-it-yourself home remodeling on the cheap
- Simple steps to lower your water and sewer bills
- Decorating with yard sale finds
- Managing your mortgage
- The cheapskate's guide to flooring
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 6 energy-saving projects for your home
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- How much equity can you cash out of your home?
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?