Electric Window Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
The driverside electric window on our '97 astro is working partially. I can run it all the way up, then it won't work for about 5 minutes. Then I can run it all the way down. Once again, it won't work for 5 minutes. Or I can go up 3/4 and down to about half and it will stop. Then no action for about 5 min. If I try after a minute or two it will move about and inch and then stop. I don't hear any unusual sounds when operating it. I had the dealer fix it once while under warranty. That them it would not work at all and they said it was a short or bad contact. Any Ideas where to start?
The first thing that you need to do is open the door panel and be able to get to the wires running to the motor. When the motor stops working, hit the switch to move it and check to see if there is voltage at the motor. If so, then the switch is fine. The motor is just shot. Sounds like it is overheating because of the 5 minute reset time. What would cause it to overheat? It may be binding somewhere. Could be the track. Or in the motor itself.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Take the Next Step
- Reduce the cost of your gasoline with a 'gas card'. You can compare them here.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?