Electric Window Problems
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
The driverside electric window on our '97 astro is working partially. I can run it all the way up, then it won't work for about 5 minutes. Then I can run it all the way down. Once again, it won't work for 5 minutes. Or I can go up 3/4 and down to about half and it will stop. Then no action for about 5 min. If I try after a minute or two it will move about and inch and then stop. I don't hear any unusual sounds when operating it. I had the dealer fix it once while under warranty. That them it would not work at all and they said it was a short or bad contact. Any Ideas where to start?
The first thing that you need to do is open the door panel and be able to get to the wires running to the motor. When the motor stops working, hit the switch to move it and check to see if there is voltage at the motor. If so, then the switch is fine. The motor is just shot. Sounds like it is overheating because of the 5 minute reset time. What would cause it to overheat? It may be binding somewhere. Could be the track. Or in the motor itself.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive maintenance section and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?