Tax Tips: The Roth IRA

by Diane Halloway

The IRS has given us a free gift: the Roth IRA. Anyone eligible (adjusted gross income of less than $150,000) should consider starting a Roth. The younger you are, the greater a benefit you will realize from the tax-free growth. Also, you can get to your contribution without penalty for college education, the purchase of a home or any other need that might arise. There is no required distribution, which makes the Roth a great tool for estate planning. The Roth IRA can be invested in any bank, mutual fund or stock brokerage account. There are a number of web sites that offer details. Most mutual fund web sites even offer calculators that tell you how you would benefit from this type of investment, depending on variables like rate of return, age, etc.

Diane Halloway is a CPA who is also a Certified Financial Planner (CFP) and has been accredited by the AICPA (American Institute of Certified Public Accountants) as a Personal Financial Specialist (PFS), the only Financial Planning designation recognized by the AICPA. She also specializes in Long Term Care Insurance and has a tax/financial planning/LTC insurance practice in Houston, Texas. She can be reached at 281-486-7358 or

Share your thoughts about this article with the editor. Just Click Here and tell us what's on your mind.

Get Out of Debt
Stay Connected with TDS

Do you struggle to get ahead financially?

Surviving Tough Times is a weekly newsletter aimed at helping you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources.

Debt Checklist

And get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble?
A Simple Checklist and What You Can Do About It
for FREE!

Your Email:

View the TDS Privacy Policy.

Get Out of Debt