Did Transmission Service Cause Damage?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1994 Nissan Pathfinder front wheel drive with approximately 97,000 miles. On Jan 26 I had the vehicle in for state inspection and it was at this time I was informed that my transmission fluid was black and the garage indicated that I should have a Power flush and fluid exchange done to prevent problems. Prior to this I had no indication of any problem. I agreed to the procedure and the next day I noticed shifting into 5th is running at 4000-4500 rpm's. Less than a month later, I had the vehicle towed back to the same garage. Lo and behold, they blame the failure on coincidence. I'm down to 1st gear only and now I need a transmission job. Can you provide any means of recourse? Thanks for your time.
The worst thing to do when a transmission starts to fail is change the fluid. The clutch material that is in the fluid is sometimes the only thing keeping it working. Replace it with fresh material, and more times than not, it starts to slip even worse.
For preventive maintenance transmission fluid is one of the most overlooked fluids on the car. The most over looked fluid is the brake fluid. Both of these should be flushed and replaced on a regular basis. Depending on your driving, transmission fluid should be changed around every 24 to 30 k miles. And your brake fluid around every other brake job.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators