Recycled Motor Oil
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have seen recycled motor oil for sale in quart containers. Is this as good as new oil? What process do they use to clean it? Also, have any studies been done to see how well the same brand lubricates after recycling?
I would not use recycled motor oil in my car. Even if they clean it up and remove all the metals from it, the lubricating properties have been diminished. It may work in low-duty applications, but as a motor oil, I would not chance it.
I am sure that it is cheaper than regular oil, but by how much? Let's say $0.50 a quart. An average car uses 5 quarts per oil change. That's $2.50 you saved per oil change. You should change your oil at least every 4000 miles, but with recycled oil, I would do it even sooner, such as every 3000 miles. So if you drive 12,000 miles a year, that is 4 oil changes and a savings of $10 a year.
A new engine costs on the order of $1,500. You have to use the recycled stuff many years before you save enough to replace that motor. And I did not take into account the extra oil change that you have to do every year. So, you may not be saving any money at all!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Natural homemade laundry soap
- How to buy a Christmas tree
- Preparing for a snow storm
- How to reduce heating bills
- Corian countertop repair
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?