Warm Jetta Dies
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '86 Jetta GL. After driving for a short time ( it seems like when its warm out) it stops running and I have to get off the road. If I let it sit for a while it starts up. Got any ideas? Also a OXS light comes on. I can't find any thing on that eather.
It sounds like your catalytic converter is dead. When it get hot the pores close down and create a lot of back pressure. This in turn chokes out the motor and does not allow the exhaust to flow. They don't usually get in this condition on their own. The OXS light you see is probably a warning light indicating that the oxygen sensor is no good. This is what tells the computer what to do with the fuel. If it runs incorrectly, it could cause that catalytic converter to malfunction.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- What's that little switch on my ceiling fan?
- Tips for cleaning home siding
- How to decorate a backyard gazebo Readers' Solutions
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators