"Popping" CV Joints
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I can hear my CV joints "popping" as I turn my wheels. I know I need to replace them right away, but I can't afford the cost right now. What damage, if any, am I doing to my car?
Well, the worst possible thing that could happen is that the joints finally break. When this happens, you will have no power sent to the wheels and you will be stuck. Depending on where it breaks, you may be throwing a drive shaft (essentially what CV shafts are) all around banging into things in the engine compartment. It may happen at the absolute wrong time, like when pulling out into traffic, then whammo no more power and here comes that big truck you were just going to cut off. Now, I know this seems pretty bad, but like I said, this is the worst thing that could happen.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 8 ways to save on auto insurance
- Homemade window de-icer
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators