copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
I would like to know the meaning of the term "linear feet."
Linear feet just means any distance or length measured in feet. The term in home repair is usually applied to products that are installed without regard to other dimensions, such as width or thickness. Because there are other types of "feet," square feet and cubic feet, product manufacturers had to come up with a distinguishing name for plain old length, hence the term "linear" feet. For example, if you were going to purchase ceramic tile, you would normally order the tile by the square foot, which is logical since that is the most reasonable way to measure the floor. Length (in feet) multiplied by width (in feet) equals square feet. However, if you were to purchase a tile bullnose (covers outside corners) or a decorative tile border, it would be ordered in linear feet. You would measure the length only of the area you want to cover. The width is irrelevant (except for decorating and aesthetic purposes, of course!).
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- How to seal your basement from outside moisture
- Are you ready to buy your first home? Video
- How to clear a clogged drain naturally
- Indoor container gardening
- Hot? Turn on the furnace!
- The essential starting point to lower summer energy bills
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?