Dim, Dimmer, Dead
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a starter or alternator problem. As I was driving on the freeway my car just stopped running. At first the headlines started to dim out as well as the interior lights in the car. Then I lost all power. Then when I tried to jump start it would start fine but as soon as I unhooked the cables for the jump start the car dies. Please help!
You have a bad alternator. When the alternator died your car was running on battery power alone. When the car quit, the battery was completely drained. So, you may want to put the battery on charge or have it tested to see if it needs to be replaced. But you definitely need to get the alternator replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Trending on TDS
- Miles per gallon vs. Miles per dollar
- What you need to know before you shop for an auto loan
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- The true cost of not maintaining your car
- 5 DIY tips to save money on auto-body repairs
- 5 ways to avoid overpaying for car repairs
- Replace 5 car parts for better gas mileage
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators