Dim, Dimmer, Dead
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a starter or alternator problem. As I was driving on the freeway my car just stopped running. At first the headlines started to dim out as well as the interior lights in the car. Then I lost all power. Then when I tried to jump start it would start fine but as soon as I unhooked the cables for the jump start the car dies. Please help!
You have a bad alternator. When the alternator died your car was running on battery power alone. When the car quit, the battery was completely drained. So, you may want to put the battery on charge or have it tested to see if it needs to be replaced. But you definitely need to get the alternator replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
If you have a question for Bob send it to: . He's able to answer many of them personally and we'll include the best questions in future issues of The Dollar Stretcher.
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.