Dim, Dimmer, Dead
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a starter or alternator problem. As I was driving on the freeway my car just stopped running. At first the headlines started to dim out as well as the interior lights in the car. Then I lost all power. Then when I tried to jump start it would start fine but as soon as I unhooked the cables for the jump start the car dies. Please help!
You have a bad alternator. When the alternator died your car was running on battery power alone. When the car quit, the battery was completely drained. So, you may want to put the battery on charge or have it tested to see if it needs to be replaced. But you definitely need to get the alternator replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- 7 secret sales tactics car salesmen hope you don't know
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 15 mistakes to avoid when selling your home
- 9 ways to buy furniture for less
- Need a bigger home? How to maximize the space you already have
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators