Dim, Dimmer, Dead
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I think I have a starter or alternator problem. As I was driving on the freeway my car just stopped running. At first the headlines started to dim out as well as the interior lights in the car. Then I lost all power. Then when I tried to jump start it would start fine but as soon as I unhooked the cables for the jump start the car dies. Please help!
You have a bad alternator. When the alternator died your car was running on battery power alone. When the car quit, the battery was completely drained. So, you may want to put the battery on charge or have it tested to see if it needs to be replaced. But you definitely need to get the alternator replaced.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Trending on TDS
- 4 ways to extend the life of your car
- How much car insurance do you really need?
- Eliminating gasoline odors in your car
- How to choose new tires
- Will used-car maintenance bust my budget?
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 DIY tips to save money on auto-body repairs
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- 5 ways to avoid overpaying for car repairs
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators