Edible Bird's Nest
by Amanda Formaro
This fun craft is not only adorable when done, but it's tasty too! Sit the kids down to make this fun spring project. Be sure to make extras for friends and family.
You will need:
- Chow mien noodles
- chocolate chips or brick chocolate
- Jelly beans
- candy coated chocolate eggs
- marshmallow chicks
- peanut butter
- wax paper
- paper plates (colored plates optional)
Place squares of wax paper onto to individual plates. Put chow mien noodles in a large bowl. If using brick chocolate, break into pieces.
Melt chocolate chips or pieces in the microwave, or over low heat on stove, just until melted. Pour melted chocolate over chow mien noodles, mix together to coat.
Place mounds of chocolate/chow mien mixture onto several plates (on top of waxed paper). Have children form the mixtures into nests. Be sure the chocolate has cooled, but don't wait too long or it will harden!
Using peanut butter as an adhesive, "glue" down the jelly beans and candy coated chocolate eggs inside the nest cavity. "Glue" marshmallow chick on the edge of or inside of the nest.
These make fun gifts from kids to their friends, teacher and family members. You can also make these nests at birthday parties as a fun and edible take home party favor.
Amanda Formaro is the mother of four children andthe owner of the online family magazine, familycorner.com at http://familycorner.com. She and her husband live in southern Nevada.
Trending on TDS
- Getting kids to complete chores
- Cutting the cost of baby's first year Video
- Does it really pay to have two people working?
- Making the transition to stay-st-home mom
- Homemade toys for babies
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in April
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator