Time to Start Your Tomatoes
by Arzeena Hamir
Tomatoes are one of the easiest vegetables to grow from seed and now is the time to start tomato seeds indoors. The seeds themselves are easy to handle and can be planted in any type of container you have around the house. I prefer to start 3 seeds in 2" pots; however, yogurt containers, milk cartons, & even egg cartons can all be used.
The keys to starting tomato seed are:
- Pre-moisten your potting soil before planting
- Don't plant the seed too deep - 1/2" is usually enough
- Keep the container warm - I like to keep my containers at about 75 F (25 C)
- Keep the container moist but not soggy - try not to overwater
Once the seedlings are up, move them to a cool but bright location.
A week after the seedlings are up, transplant them into individual pots along with some compost or worm casts for food. Within another 3 weeks, the seedlings will outgrow their containers & will be potted up again. This time, they're potted into 6" containers where they will stay until they go into the garden.
Arzeena Hamir is an Agronomist & President of Terra Viva Organics. She specializes in educating home gardeners about organic vegetable production. Visit Terra Viva Organics for all your organic gardening needs. For more gardening information, you can also e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How to hire an affordable, reliable housesitter
- Helping your adult children with housing
- 10 ways to cut the cost of cleaning
- Installing bathroom in-floor heat
- Natural homemade laundry soap recipes
- How to reduce heating bills this winter
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?