Diagnosing Power Door Locks
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Our Taurus power door locks suddenly have stopped working, is this an expensive problem to fix?
It depends on the cause. If it is a bad fuse, then no. If its a bad switch, then it may cost a bit more. If you bring it somewhere, you will probably pay more in diagnostic than anything else. Look in your owner's manual for the location of the door lock fuse. Check that out first. If that is fine, then you need to determine where the actual fault is. Do the door locks work from either side or nothing at all? If nothing at all, then it would seem more like a power problem than anything.
If one door works, and the other does not, then I would think that there is a problem related to that one side. Can you unlock both doors from one side? Can you unlock the good door from the bad side? If one door does nothing, and the other door can operate both, then it seems the bad door has a bad switch. If the bad door can operate the other door, and the other door can not operate the bad door, then it would seem like a bad actuator in one door.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Creating an outdoor kitchen
- Eliminating bed bugs
- Managing home projects
- Saving on water one drop at a time
- Cheaper summer cooling
- Inexpensive landscaping ideas
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?