Real Recipes for Real People: Stress-Free Breakfasts
by Kaylin Cherry
"Mom, I don't want cereal again!" Sound familiar? It seems that on those busy, stressful weekday mornings, unless you get up earlier, have your own personal cook, or a miracle up your sleeve, there are not many choices for breakfast. You have cold cereal, instant hot cereal, toaster pastries and toaster waffles. After having all of them over and over, they can get pretty old. There is a great low-cost alternative! I discovered it when my children's Easter chicks grew up and started giving us a half-dozen eggs each day - which has been both a challenge and a blessing.
I had seen breakfast burritos on menus at fast-food restaurants, but I had never considered making them myself. After looking over several recipes, I found that there is no real rule for ingredients used in breakfast burritos - except to add the ingredients which sound great to you! Many years ago a relative introduced me to the wonderful world of Italian cooking, including pepperoni cooked with scrambled eggs. At first it sounded terrible: pepperoni was a pizza topping, not breakfast food! But then I tried it and found that it is fabulous cooked with eggs! It is one of my children's favorites, and so I developed the recipe here. I hope it makes your mornings a bit less stressed and adds a bit of variety to your weekday breakfasts.
Pepperoni & Cheese Breakfast Burritos
Recipe By: Real Food for Real People
Serving Size: 12
Categories: Breakfast, O.A.M.C.
- 6 ounces pepperoni sausage -- shredded or cubed
- 12 eggs - slightly beaten
- 3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 large flour tortillas
In a large frying pan, brown shredded pepperoni until it has turned a dark red and you have a skim of grease in the frying pan. Add eggs, then season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook, constantly stirring, until eggs are nearly cooked, and have a creamy, curd consistency. Remove pan from heat and set aside. (Eggs will continue to cook as they cool).
To make burritos, first warm the tortillas for a minute in microwave or steamer. Place about 1/3 - 1/2 cup pepperoni/egg mixture and 1/4 cup shredded cheese into the center of a tortilla. Fold by bringing each end in and then rolling the tortilla from one side to the next, so you have a finished burrito closed on each end. When all 12 burritos have been assembled, serve hot with desired side dishes for breakfast.
Note: If you are making the burritos to freeze for later use, wrap each burrito in a paper towel and freeze in individual zip baggies. When ready to cook frozen burrito, place in microwave oven, still wrapped in paper towel, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until warmed through. The paper towel will help the burrito retain its moisture and help it heat evenly.
copyright 1999, Kaylin Cherry/Real Food for Real People All Rights Reserved.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator