Kill The Ants!
Little Black Ants
All-Natural Ant Repellent
How Do You Kill Ants?
How do you get rid of ants out of your yard? My husband and I have tried various things and have discovered that ant "killer" is really ant "mover"! Anyone have any suggestions? We seem to be getting more and more ant hills every day. They really like our yard.
Rhea H. in Houston, Texas
Killing Ants: Dehydrate Them
You can sprinkle diatomaceous earth around and in the ant beds. You can get it at swimming pool places and it is harmless to humans and pets. It dehydrates and kills the ants.
I found the best and cheapest way to get rid of ants is to mix equal parts sugar and borax. I put it in little "stations" all around the yard (be sure to replace if it rains) in baby food jar lids. The ants carry the sugar back to the hill, and the borax clinging to the sugar does the rest. After about a week or two, no more ants!
Killing Ants: Hot Water
I just watched a Discovery Channel show that says that using all the chemicals for ants and fire ants is a waste of $$$$$$. They are best removed by pouring boiling HOT WATER on the mounds. And best if done in the a.m. as they are high in the mound at that time.
Breakfast Is Ready
We moved to Pensacola, FL in 1996, and were overcome by all the roaches. We had Sears Pest Control come out to take care of that problem, but as the man was leaving, I asked him what could be done with the fire ants that had take over our yard. He said there was a chemical they could use, but in his opinion, the best thing was Quaker Oats Instant Grits. He said to just sprinkle some over the mounds, and they will eat it and it "blows up" inside them. I tried it, and within a day, the mound was dead. I'm sure they had moved on to another part of the yard, but it did seemed to work. So I guess if you have a good supply, and look for mounds everyday, you could keep it somewhat under control.
Killing Ants: Spicy
My friend worked for a pest control agency , He said to use cayenne pepper mixed with corn starch. It worked wonders for us.
Shop the web's most popular pest control store at DoMyOwnPestControl.com
Living in Florida, I also have a lot of ants in my yard at times. I use a product called Amdro. It doesn't move the ants or make hard mounds in my yard like the products we used in the past. Instead this product is taken by the worker ants to the queen, where she dies and then the mound dies. It is the only product I have found to be successful since moving to Florida and trying various others. It is the only one I use now.
Take the Next Step:
- Subscribe to our weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter. Each issue of this free html newsletter features tips and articles to help you stretch your dollars and survive in this challenging economy.
- Great things are happening on Pinterest! Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?