Tips for preventing ants from taking over your yard
Terminating Ants in My Yard
Little Black Ants
All-Natural Ant Repellent
How Do You Kill Ants in Your Yard?
How do you get rid of ants out of your yard? My husband and I have tried various things for terminating ants and have discovered that ant "killer" is really ant "mover"! Anyone have any suggestions? We seem to be getting more and more ant hills every day. They really like our yard.
Rhea H. in Houston, Texas
Killing Ants: Dehydrate Them
You can sprinkle diatomaceous earth around and in the ant beds. You can get it at swimming pool places and it is harmless to humans and pets. It dehydrates and kills the ants.
I found the best and cheapest way to get rid of ants is to mix equal parts sugar and borax. I put it in little "stations" all around the yard (be sure to replace if it rains) in baby food jar lids. The ants carry the sugar back to the hill, and the borax clinging to the sugar does the rest. After about a week or two, no more ants!
Killing Ants: Hot Water
I just watched a Discovery Channel show that says that using all the chemicals for ants and fire ants is a waste of $$$$$$. They are best removed by pouring boiling HOT WATER on the mounds. And best if done in the a.m. as they are high in the mound at that time.
Breakfast Is Ready
We moved to Pensacola, FL in 1996, and were overcome by all the roaches. We had Sears Pest Control come out to take care of that problem, but as the man was leaving, I asked him what could be done with the fire ants that had take over our yard. He said there was a chemical they could use, but in his opinion, the best thing was Quaker Oats Instant Grits. He said to just sprinkle some over the mounds, and they will eat it and it "blows up" inside them. I tried it, and within a day, the mound was dead. I'm sure they had moved on to another part of the yard, but it did seemed to work. So I guess if you have a good supply, and look for mounds everyday, you could keep it somewhat under control.
Killing Ants: Spicy
My friend worked for a pest control agency , He said to use cayenne pepper mixed with corn starch. It worked wonders for us.
Shop the web's most popular pest control store at DoMyOwnPestControl.com.
Living in Florida, I also have a lot of ants in my yard at times. I use a product called Amdro. It doesn't move the ants or make hard mounds in my yard like the products we used in the past. Instead this product is taken by the worker ants to the queen, where she dies and then the mound dies. It is the only product I have found to be successful in terminating ants since moving to Florida and trying various others. It is the only one I use now.
Take the Next Step:
- Stop struggling to get ahead financially. Subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of Are You Heading for Debt Trouble? A Simple Checklist And What You Can Do About It for FREE!
- From bees to fleas and everything in between, The Dollar Stretcher's Frugal Pest Control Guide can help you save money battling bugs and other pests.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?