Chickens and Bunnies and Eggs, Oh My!
by Tawra Kellam
You're standing, dumbfounded, in front of a mound of hard boiled eggs and chocolate Easter bunnies. You wonder "what am I going to do with 6 dozen eggs and 25 chocolate bunnies". The stress of it is almost enough to send you to bed for a week--or at least tear most of your hair out. Here's a few ideas and recipes from Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites to help you avoid both of those.
First the bunnies: Take a rolling pin to them and crush the life out of them. Then use the crumbs to sprinkle on ice cream, use in milk shakes, stir a few in a mug of hot chocolate, or use in place of chocolate chips for making cookies or melt for dipping fruit and candy.
Next the eggs: Besides the usual deviled eggs and slicing them on tossed salad here are two recipes that I think you will enjoy.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped, or 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Mix all ingredients. Best if chilled for 1 or 2 hours. Makes 4 sandwiches
Golden Morning Sunshine
- 4 cups white sauce
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
Make white sauce. Once the white sauce has thickened, add eggs. Serve on toast.
- 1/4 cup dry milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- dash salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
In a covered jar, combine flour and salt and mix well. Add water. Shake until all the ingredients are dissolved. Melt margarine in a 1 quart sauce pan. Stir in flour-milk mixture and cook over low heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Keep stirring until thickened completely.
Tawra Kellam is the author of Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites (ISBN#: 0-9676974-0-9). Not Just Beans is a frugal cookbook which has over 540 recipes and 400 tips. For more tips and recipes visit our website at www.notjustbeans.com. To order Not Just Beans send $14.95 (includes shipping) to Not Just Beans, P.O. Box 274, Nezperce, ID 83543 or visit Amazon.com. For more free tips and recipes visit www.notjustbeans.com.
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator