Chickens and Bunnies and Eggs, Oh My!
by Tawra Kellam
You're standing, dumbfounded, in front of a mound of hard boiled eggs and chocolate Easter bunnies. You wonder "what am I going to do with 6 dozen eggs and 25 chocolate bunnies". The stress of it is almost enough to send you to bed for a week--or at least tear most of your hair out. Here's a few ideas and recipes from Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites to help you avoid both of those.
First the bunnies: Take a rolling pin to them and crush the life out of them. Then use the crumbs to sprinkle on ice cream, use in milk shakes, stir a few in a mug of hot chocolate, or use in place of chocolate chips for making cookies or melt for dipping fruit and candy.
Next the eggs: Besides the usual deviled eggs and slicing them on tossed salad here are two recipes that I think you will enjoy.
- 6 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 1 small stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped, or 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Mix all ingredients. Best if chilled for 1 or 2 hours. Makes 4 sandwiches
Golden Morning Sunshine
- 4 cups white sauce
- 4 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
Make white sauce. Once the white sauce has thickened, add eggs. Serve on toast.
- 1/4 cup dry milk
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- dash salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp. margarine
In a covered jar, combine flour and salt and mix well. Add water. Shake until all the ingredients are dissolved. Melt margarine in a 1 quart sauce pan. Stir in flour-milk mixture and cook over low heat until mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Keep stirring until thickened completely.
Tawra Kellam is the author of Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites (ISBN#: 0-9676974-0-9). Not Just Beans is a frugal cookbook which has over 540 recipes and 400 tips. For more tips and recipes visit our website at www.notjustbeans.com. To order Not Just Beans send $14.95 (includes shipping) to Not Just Beans, P.O. Box 274, Nezperce, ID 83543 or visit Amazon.com. For more free tips and recipes visit www.notjustbeans.com.
Trending on TDS
- Inexpensive meal ideas for family reunions
- Frugal family journeys into geneology
- Avoiding your parents' debts
- Giveaway: Back-to-school lunch essentials
- Baby toys you can make
- Respect for a stay-at-home mom
- Saving kids from consumierism
- Inexpensive backyard play areas
- Beating the back-to-school budget blues
- 4 tips for enjoying a 'staycation'
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in July
- 8 items to buy at yard sales this summer
- 5 colleges where your kid can go to school for free
- 6 secrets to saving more at discount stores
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator