Oil Change Frequency
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I just bought a new Mercedes-Benz E320. Mercedes provides free oil changes. The suggested interval is 10,000 miles! I have always changed my oil no less than every 5,000 miles, but they don't even want to see me until 10,000 rolls around. Comments and suggestions?
Generally, modern engines are made to tighter specifications (closer tolerances). I would think fresher oil would be the best thing. Do they pay for maintenance items in your lease? If so, then bring the car to them and let them deal with it.
Make sure you have the extended warranty. If there is a problem down the road due to engine wear-out, it will be their problem and not yours. I am also hoping that this is a gas car and not a diesel. Diesel engines seem to "pollute" the oil much faster then gas engines. Also, if this car is turbocharged, the oil should be changed more frequently. Fresh oil in a turbo will extend its life.
In all my vehicles I have the oil changed every 3,000 miles. The newest one gets this same treatment and uses synthetic oil. I made this decision and not Ford. What could be the harm in changing the oil more frequently? Changing your oil often keeps money out of the pocket of the service man!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?