Cleaning an Asphalt Driveway
I have an asphalt driveway. My son plays hockey and he decided one sunny Saturday afternoon to paint a blue line on it for proper hockey rules. How do I get spray paint off an asphalt driveway? Help!!!!
SW from Port Colborne, Ontario, Canada
Paint removal is always difficult regardless of the surface and asphalt is no exception. In fact, one of the "corollaries" of the Murphy's Law of Home Repair is that paint always sticks best and lasts longest on surfaces we didn't intend to paint in the first place. Aside from asphalt, other favorite goofs that come to mind are carpets, rubber weatherstripping, clothing, and wallpaper!
Uncoated asphalt tends to become very porous over time allowing easier staining. Spray paint has a solvent base that tends to bind tenaciously to asphalt... that's why the lines on the roads stay put so long! Any paint solvent or remover will likewise soften the asphalt. Your best recourse is to just coat the driveway (or just the offending area) with a black asphalt sealer available at any hardware or home store. This coal-tar based product will easily mask the paint stain with a more attractive black finish. I would highly recommend sealing the entire driveway. The resulting smooth, nonporous surface makes snow removal easier (I noticed your address) and lengthens the life of the driveway as well. And... future painting "accident" cleanups and... if necessary... touchups will be easier!
copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also In This Week's Issue
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- How to regain storage space and cut the clutter
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 12 ways to lower heating bills
- Free fireplace logs
- 8 kitchen remodeling projects for under $500
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 6 hazards your home insurance won't cover
- How to save on mortgage as rates rise
In The Dollar Stretcher Community
Get free money-saving articles in your inbox each week!
Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Surviving Tough Times.