Draft in Game Room
There is a draft at the bottom of the walls in my games room. The edge of the carpet is black. How can I repair this problem?
CS from British Columbia, Canada
Its difficult to know for sure why you are having this problem, but what is sure is that you have an air leak coming under the base moulding, blowing oily dust or dirt onto the carpet. Odds are, there is an air space between the floor and the wall, allowing air to enter your room from the hollow in the wall or from the basement/ floor below.
What you need to do is seal the leak. The more difficult way would be to remove the base moulding and install some sort of air barrier... depending on the size of the leak you could use a strip of plastic or even a foam insulation pressed into the gap.
Since I can reasonably guess that you would prefer a less destructive solution, try this. Pull the carpet back from the areas where you have the leakage. You will probably see a gap under the mouldings where the air is entering. Purchase some strip foam insulation. This product is available in a number of sizes. Don't buy the kind with a glue strip. It is unnecessary and probably will make installation difficult or impossible. The type I mean is the type used to weather strip air conditioners. Just ask; all the good hardware store guys will know what I am talking about.
Again, depending on the size of the gap, you may have to cut the foam insulation into a thinner strip. Plain old scissors will do the job nicely. Push the foam into the gap between the base moulding and the floor. This will stop the air infiltration dead in its tracks, along with the staining!
copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Sell my house? Or buy a new one first?
- DIY wall décor
- Home upgrades - Smart projects vs. costly mistakes Video
- Putting your lawn mower to bed for the winter
- Give your bathroom an inexpensive makeover
- First-time home buyer's how-to
- Combating carpenter ants
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- How to keep your mortgage data safe from hackers
- 5 home renovations that can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- Flood insurance too high? You may have options
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?