Not Just Beans: Leftover Mashed Potato Madness
by Tawra Kellam
Reverse Meal Planning
Using Leftover Veggies
Save on Groceries Before You Leave Home
As another Mother's Day rolls around, we once again get ready to show our moms how much we appreciate them and the great burden they have had to bear all these years. Only as we become moms ourselves do we then understand what they've been through--no I'm not talking childbirth but something we have to face day in and day out. What to do with those small amounts of leftover mashed potatoes. The guilt when you wash them down the drain is awful but if you tuck them back in a corner of the fridge and pull them out black and moldy 2 weeks later it's even worse.
Well here's a couple of recipes and tips that might help you with the centuries old dilemma.
- Use small amounts to thicken soups and stews.
- Throw them in your next bread recipe for a nice texture.
- Freeze small amounts for babies or toddlers' lunches.
- On a piece of toast or bread, spread heated leftover mashed potatoes and roast and pour leftover gravy on top.
(adjust to what you have on hand)
- 2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 2 Tbsp. flour
- 1 egg
Mix first 3 ingredients. Make into patties and fry in margarine until golden brown on each side. Serve warm with butter or margarine. Delicious served with applesauce.
- 3 Tbsp. shortening
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp. cocoa
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 lb. (16 oz.) powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
In a microwave safe bowl, melt shortening and butter in the microwave. Stir in cocoa until smooth. Add potatoes, salt and vanilla. Mix well. Blend in powdered sugar, mix and add nuts. Dough will be very lumpy. Kneed until smooth. Press into a buttered 8x8 inch pan. Cool in the refrigerator before cutting. Makes 64 pieces (yeah right! ).
Tawra Kellam is the author of Not Just Beans: 50 Years of Frugal Family Favorites (ISBN#: 0-9676974-0-9). Not Just Beans is a frugal cookbook which has over 540 recipes and 400 tips. For more tips and recipes visit our website at www.notjustbeans.com.
To order Not Just Beans send $14.95 (includes shipping) to:
Not Just Beans
P.O. Box 274
Nezperce, ID 83543
or visit Amazon.com.
Trending on TDS
- Affordable ways to enjoy national parks
- Make your own baby food
- Save money living with your grown up kids or parents
- How to write a will that will protect your heirs
- Build a backyard play area on a budget
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in April
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- April bargains in supermarkets and beyond
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator