How to kill weeds naturally
Natural Weed Killers
Removing Weeds and Grasses
Organic Weed Control Guide
Natural Disease Controls for Your Plants
Natural Weed Killers?
I was wondering if any of your readers could suggest an inexpensive way to zap weeds that seem to overtake my gravel driveway every year.
A Natural Killer
Believe it or not, vinegar! I read somewhere about how it is a natural weed killer. I had moss etc. growing between bricks in my back patio. I took a gallon of vinegar, spread it around, and in a couple of days, I was able to remove all the dead stuff with a broom! It works great, the smell disappears shortly, and is cheaper and better for the environment than a lot of the "name brands" you can buy! Give it a try!
"Rocky" Knocks Weeds Out
Rock salt sprinkled lightly over the drive will kill any living plant. Be careful not to sprinkle it on the plants you wish to keep.
Dead Weeds And Exercise, Too!
I had this problem with a gravel area. I set my garden hose out with a sprinkler on it and would soak a big area and the pull the weeds slowly by hand. It took three goes at it to keep them from growing back but by soaking the area I would get most of the root in one slow pull. As a bonus the neighbor saw me doing this and decided I was a good guy, they liked the old style hard work ethic I was showing. This retired couple and I became friends and they helped me out on several occasions. It is a lot of work but in time but the satisfaction is well worth it.
The site YardCare.com provided the following recipe. Into a 32-oz. hand sprayer, combine one ounce gin, one ounce liquid soap and one ounce vinegar. Spray just the weeds..."
We have found that boiling water will kill the weeds just as effectively as those expensive weed killers. Every time you boil the kettle for a coffee, walk out side and pour the remaining hot water onto a weed or two. In a few days, they will have shriveled up and died!
Michael C. in Australia
Salt Kills Weeds
Salt! It is cheap and it works! I'm speaking from experience. It is non-toxic, so the kids are safe to help.
Take the Next Step:
- Read about more ways to get rid of weeds
- Go natural! Try these organic weed control tips
- Learn more simple living tips with our twice weekly Readers' Tips enewsletter
Discuss "Natural Weed Killer" in The Dollar Stretcher Community
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- Rent a garden plot
- Renewing bathroom sinks
- Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Cheap sofa reupholstery
- Free landscape borders Slideshow
- Homemade floor cleaners
- 5 ways to prepare your garden for spring
- 10 ways to save money on your utility bill
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 7 ghastly critters that will eat your house
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?