Decorating With Thrift Store Finds
by Monica Resinger
Thrift Store Home Decorating
10 Top Home Decorating Buys Under $10
Decorating with thrift store finds is a fun and frugal idea. There is so much variety that it's hard to not find anything that would fit into your home. With a little creativity, the sky's the limit.
Here are some items I have found with ideas for use in decorating.
- Sheets. They can be cut and made into curtains or pillows. You can also use sheets as a slipcover for chairs and couches. Of course you can use the sheet as a sheet; there is such variety that the chances are great that you'll find something to fit into your decorating theme.
- Shelves. Plastic, wood and metal shelves can be found in a myriad of designs and colors. If you like the design but not the color, spray paint it.
- Area rugs. These can be a great instant change.
- Wicker Baskets. These are great used in decorating themes because they serve two purposes: decoration and storage. Sit one on an end table and use it to store remote controls. A larger one can hold magazines. One on the kitchen table can hold in season fruit or vegetables.
- Knick Knacks. Whatever your decorating theme, you're sure to find knick knacks to match.
- Pictures. If you like the picture but not the frame, you can either look for a different frame while you are there, or spray paint it.
- Picture frames. Family pictures always warm the room. You'll find a wide variety with great prices at the thrift stores.
- Silk Flowers. Put one or more in a pretty vase and you have a decorative item. You can also hot glue individual flowers to picture frames or lamp shades.
There are a lot more items that can be used, this is just a small list to give you a bit of inspiration so you'll try it.
If you want a new decorating theme, going to the thrift store may inspire you. For me, it's a great way to get the creative juices flowing. Look around and take note as to what's catching your eye. What colors or themes are emerging?
Decorating this way not only brings creativity and unique items, it saves you a ton of money. It's so cheap in fact, that you can change your decorating theme on a whim. Keep in mind that you don't have to get everything all at once. Decorating is an on going and ever changing process and going to the thrift stores over a period of time will give you an even bigger variety because each time you go, there are different items.
Monica Resinger is a loving wife and doting mother of two who enjoys gardening, painting, dancing and homemaking. You can check out some of her other articles at http://ezinearticles.com/?expert=Monica_Resinger
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?