How to buy quality shoes without paying a premium price
Finding Quality Shoes for Less
Dollar Stretcher Reader Contributors
Making Sure the Shoe Fits
Buying Athletic Shoes
Quality Shoes for Less
Do any of your readers know where (online or elsewhere) I can find quality shoes at bargain prices? Is there a Birkenstock factory outlet? Since the birth of my second child, my feet have widened to the point where I can no longer fit into those cheapo chain store shoes, but hate to pay the premium prices the "quality" stores charge.
For Quality Shoes Try Ebay
Not knowing of a good factory outlet for Birkenstock, I did purchase a new pair Birks on Ebay for $30 -(rather than the usual $100 + at the Mall Stores). Remember that Birks are sold in European sizes. Make sure that you know yours! (Mine is a 40 Euro - 9.5 USA) I have enjoyed this pair now for 2 years, and they keep getting better everyday
QVC Has Shoes for Less
I know that 'QVC' (on TV and the web) has the best prices that my mom has ever seen on Birkenstock. For example, she purchased the Betula style for me for forty or fifty something. I have plantar facitis and the podiatrist said that I should only wear Birkenstock or Naot. They really do help, but I've yet to find a place that has Naot at a decent price--so I don't have any ---so I have worn this one pair of Birkenstock for 3 months straight!!
Shoes at Birkenstock Express
There is a Birkenstock Express site at http://footwise.com/. They do have specials on lines that are going to be discontinued, etc. I believe you can also be added to a mailing list for announcements of specials by the company.
Check out Shoe Carnival www.shoecarnival.com. They have about 114 locations all over the country and, although they don't sell shoes online, might have a store close to you. Their shoes are name brands (Reebok, Nike, Unisa, Liz Claiborne, Bass, etc.) and frequently they have big, big sales. Last year, I bought about 6 pairs of dress shoes at one time and paid about $80 total.
Rockport Outlets - Shoes for Less
My best buys on quality shoes has been at the Rockport Shoe Outlets. They are found at the major outlet shopping malls. You can find incredible bargains in the back on the clearance shoes. These are the most comfortable and still stylish shoes I've found ranging from after ski/winter boots to sandals. I buy 6-8 pair at a time when I go for the price of 1-2 pair retail!
Costco sells Birkenstocks now for cheap! And they are authentic. The "Bettina" I think is what they call them.
Shop the largest consignment store for baby, maternity, and kids' apparel at Swap.com
Great Selection Online of Quality Shoes for Less
For a great selection of all women's shoe types with a wide range of widths and lengths, get the catalog from "Old Pueblo Traders" -- 1-800-362-8400 or www.oldpueblotraders.com.
Take the Next Step
- Check out great deals on birkenstocks here
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Are there any good generic dog food brands?
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Keeping your kids well-clothed for less
- Fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- Kids' parties: Keeping the expenses down while turning up the fun
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator