Cyber Sites for Moms: Word Power
by Kathleen Bieke
Working on a school paper and wishing you had bought that thesaurus at the store last week? Having a tough time remembering where you put that dictionary? Being online definitely has its advantages. Go to Merriam-Webster Dictionary Online and with just a few keystrokes get the information you need.
Type in the word and Presto! There is your answer! If you are uncertain how many s's are in Mississippi, you can use the Wildcard Search. Simply insert question marks where the s's are and the search engine will find words close to the letters you have entered.
Trying to increase your vocabulary? The Word of the Day feature may interest you. You don't just get the word, definition and pronunciation. There is also an example sentence and an informational section called Did You Know? This is great for exposing kids to new vocabulary words. Even if you did a word a week, it opens their mind to words other than "play" "video games" and "clean your room."
The Word Game of the Day is interesting as well. There are 5 different ways to play and previous games are archived. It's a fun way to learn new words but be prepared to feel like a 6 year old looking at a college textbook. LOTS of big words! Of course you can download and buy related material here too. This is a wonderful resource to have bookmarked. Until next time.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- What's on sale in November
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Kids' activities for Thanksgiving gatherings
- 5 ways to reduce the cost of kids' clothing
- What's the best way to bring a puppy into your family?
- 13 things to teach your children that will make their financial lives easier
- How a single mom can create multiple income streams
- Instead of toys for Christmas
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator