You once answered a question about polishing cultured marble, but I want to know how to polish real marble. I have a table top 18x40 that I want to polish up and bring back the shine. No nicks or cuts, but some dull areas that won't respond to hand rubbing. Your suggestions would be appreciated.
EK from Brockton, MA
Refinishing marble is simply a matter of abrading the surface with a power sanding machine, using progressively finer grits until the scratches in the marble are microscopic, causing the surface to become reflective. I have never tried to refinish marble, so I am not about to offer you any hands-on personal advise, but I can refer you to a couple of websites and also a good book that have all the information you need. "IPT Marble and Stone Care" has a short primer on marble refinishing at www.iptmarble.com/marble.htm.
"The National Training Center for the Stone and Masonry Trades" offers a wide range of books and videos, with a few specifically on marble resurfacing, and one video on polishing and restoring marble vanity and furniture tops. Their site address is www.ntc-stone.com/
One specific book that touches most of the bases is "Caring for Your Marble Floor" by Frederick M. Hoeston. He is the syndicated "Around The House" guy. His book covers a wide range of marble care and repair issues. Find out more by visiting Amazon.com
Refinishing marble is not the typical do-it-yourself project, but I hope this infusion of inspirational material gets you started on the right path!
copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?