Finding an A/C Leak
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a '92 Infiniti G20. I just got it back from the dealer with a bill for just under $200 for adding 2 quarts of freon ($52/qt.) and one hour labor ($79). The Service Department told me I was completely out of freon but they couldn't find where it was leaking from. A few days ago they said they couldn't find it because their "machine" wasn't working. I was told to bring the car back in a couple of months when it was really hot and then maybe they would be able to find the leak. I'm really annoyed because in a couple of months I'll probably have another $200 bill. Please comment!
Gail from CT
That is exactly correct, and actually, they are not supposed to fill the car without first identifying the leak. I believe that it is part of their EPA certification. The technician that performed the work could lose his license as could the service center that performed the repair. If indeed the system has a leak, then in 2 months you will be out again and will need to pay that $200 once again. Personally, I would not pay the original $200 because they are just throwing your money away.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?