copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
I am stripping my bed down to the bare metal. What is the fastest way to accomplish this? I've been using my drill and a wire brush attachment. This works, but the attachment wears out quickly.
Two methods that are faster are the use of heat and chemical strippers. A propane torch or heat gun will soften the paint so that it can easily be scraped off. This may generate toxic fumes, though, and should be done outside or with a respirator. Also, when dealing with metal, the heat will be retained for a long time making the risk of getting a wicked burn on the metal a definite and scary reality!!
Chemical strippers don't work quite as fast as a torch but are just as effective, maybe even more so. If the paint contains lead, chemical strippers allow you to remove the softened paint without releasing lead into the air as would the torch or mechanical sanding or grinding. There are two types of chemical strippers, those with methylene chloride and those without it. Non-methylene chloride strippers are much less toxic and can be used inside with modest ventilation. Methylene chloride strippers, however, are very toxic and should not be used inside without very strong ventilation. Read the labels on the products to get a feel for their usage. Both types have become generally available and should be next to each other on your hardware store's shelves.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?