copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
I am stripping my bed down to the bare metal. What is the fastest way to accomplish this? I've been using my drill and a wire brush attachment. This works, but the attachment wears out quickly.
Two methods that are faster are the use of heat and chemical strippers. A propane torch or heat gun will soften the paint so that it can easily be scraped off. This may generate toxic fumes, though, and should be done outside or with a respirator. Also, when dealing with metal, the heat will be retained for a long time making the risk of getting a wicked burn on the metal a definite and scary reality!!
Chemical strippers don't work quite as fast as a torch but are just as effective, maybe even more so. If the paint contains lead, chemical strippers allow you to remove the softened paint without releasing lead into the air as would the torch or mechanical sanding or grinding. There are two types of chemical strippers, those with methylene chloride and those without it. Non-methylene chloride strippers are much less toxic and can be used inside with modest ventilation. Methylene chloride strippers, however, are very toxic and should not be used inside without very strong ventilation. Read the labels on the products to get a feel for their usage. Both types have become generally available and should be next to each other on your hardware store's shelves.
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here www.naturalhandyman.com/aitikia
For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links www.naturalhandyman.com
If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page www.naturalhandyman.com/friends
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles www.naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library www.naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop www.naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at www.naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at www.naturalhandyman.com/contest
Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at www.naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Also in Home
- Safe and natural hardwood floor cleaner
- Sectional sofas in small spaces
- Cleaning tile floors
- Could a home security system be right for you?
- Make your own Christmas topiaries
- Natural home clean up
- 6 reasons you shouldn't overimprove your home
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 7 green ways to save money on laundry
- 6 ways to organize your home in the new year
- 6 ways to save on home heating
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?