Cleaning Patio Furniture
A New Patio and Walkway for Less
5 Free Home Improvement Projects
Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Is There an Easy Way?
I would like to know if you have an easy and inexpensive way to clean vinyl patio furniture that is left outside in the weather. Thank you .
Have you tried just plain old bleach? I normally use the stronger pool bleach by spraying it on and letting it set in the sun. Be sure to wash it down before you sit on it.
TJW in Florida
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Washing Soda Solution
Make water solution of Washing Soda (Soda Ash, Sodium Carbonate) and water. 1 part washing soda 10 parts water. Apply this solution gently, with discarded cloth or sponge or any similar applicator. The furniture will get cleaned with very little effort. After cleaning, it is necessary to wash the furniture with water. I have tried it.
Try Dishwasher Detergent
The trick to cleaning the outdoor plastic and vinyl furniture is to use hot water and mix in dishwasher detergent. Be sure to use rubber gloves as it will eat your skin. This works especially well with the plastic play structures. Rinse well!
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Apple Cider Vinegar
My best tip for all serious cleaning jobs is apple cider vinegar. My husband and I have used it as a degreaser, in a spritz bottle for window washing and, as a last resort, I poured it directly on the gummy asphalt tile residue that remained on our hardwood floor after we removed the 60-year old linoleum. It cleaned down to the bare wood, left no residue. It works miracles, is cheap and won't harm the environment.
Take the Next Step
- Clear your clutter the fast and easy way with Goodbye Clutter!
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Never overspend for store-bought cleaners again. Use The Dollar Stretcher's Guide to Homemade Cleaners to find frugal, effective recipes for keeping your entire house and laundry clean and fresh.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Trending on TDS
Helpful Tools & Resources
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs?
- Should I refinance my mortgage?
- Compare HELOC rates
- Check for a lower homeowners insurance rate
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?