Cleaning Patio Furniture
A New Patio and Walkway for Less
5 Free Home Improvement Projects
Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Is There an Easy Way?
I would like to know if you have an easy and inexpensive way to clean vinyl patio furniture that is left outside in the weather. Thank you .
Have you tried just plain old bleach? I normally use the stronger pool bleach by spraying it on and letting it set in the sun. Be sure to wash it down before you sit on it.
TJW in Florida
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Washing Soda Solution
Make water solution of Washing Soda (Soda Ash, Sodium Carbonate) and water. 1 part washing soda 10 parts water. Apply this solution gently, with discarded cloth or sponge or any similar applicator. The furniture will get cleaned with very little effort. After cleaning, it is necessary to wash the furniture with water. I have tried it.
Try Dishwasher Detergent
The trick to cleaning the outdoor plastic and vinyl furniture is to use hot water and mix in dishwasher detergent. Be sure to use rubber gloves as it will eat your skin. This works especially well with the plastic play structures. Rinse well!
see The Ultimate Green Store - your one-stop green shopping destination
Cleaning Patio Furniture: Apple Cider Vinegar
My best tip for all serious cleaning jobs is apple cider vinegar. My husband and I have used it as a degreaser, in a spritz bottle for window washing and, as a last resort, I poured it directly on the gummy asphalt tile residue that remained on our hardwood floor after we removed the 60-year old linoleum. It cleaned down to the bare wood, left no residue. It works miracles, is cheap and won't harm the environment.
Take the Next Step
- Stink! Use SCOE 10X - The Odor Eliminator to remove the toughest of odors.
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar!
- Visit our Pinterest board for Homemade Cleaning Recipes.
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Winter energy saving ideas for renters
- How to control carpenter ants
- 3 things you need to know about free firewood
- Essential fall home repairs
- Fill your home with things that you love
- Organize your garage
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?