Tales of a Blue Bug
by Natalie Venezio
I have a story about my mother that I'd like to share. Her determination and persistence and frugality have yet to be matched with this one: My mother, Nancy drove a 1969 blue VW bug for fourteen years. While my siblings and I were growing up we'd often ask when she was going to get a better car. After all, it was uncomfortable to fit all four of us in at one time; add to that groceries, and maybe a grandmother. Anyway she'd always reply, "In due time, all in due time."
You see, she was not only squirreling away every coupon cent she redeemed, she was also building our new home by hand while my dad worked as a welder. Her own father helped her build her house if she'd help him do the same as a mutual barter. So we move into this nice cozy new home and we're still being toted in the blue "bug". Years go by and that bug is still her only transportation.
Then in what we saw as a spontaneous moment my mother announces that she's going to buy a new used car. How can she afford it we all thought? Well here's the kicker: She saves every single coupon cent redeemed in a separate savings account that accrues decent interest and in fourteen years she pays cash for a one year old Mercedes. She has never been a payment maker or credit taker. Because of the barter she and her father did, which included the land, her house-building costs were limited to permits and materials. That is how she earned her new car. Wow! If only I could aspire to be so great!
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?