Where's the Air?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1992 VW Jetta and I have a problem with the air flow vents not working. Currently the air flow only comes through the top of the dash board. The levers for the air flow are not stuck, they move freely. It just seems that whatever vent door the lever is supposed to operate is stuck in the one position. No matter if I move the lever to any of the 3 A/C positions, or the vent position, or the windshield defrost position, the air will only blow out of the windshield defrost vents.
I pulled the radio out of the dash to see if possibly the cable from the lever had become disconnected but it appeared to be fine. A friend of mine mentioned that the vent doors may be vacuum operated and that there may be a vacuum leak or a problem with a vacuum motor. Do you have any suggestions on how to identify my problem for sure and give me an idea for what repairs might cost me.
Your friend is correct. You have a vacuum leak. You will need to find the main line that comes in from the engine and fist make sure that it has vacuum when the engine is running, then find all the diverter valves and make sure that vacuum is switched to them when they are turned on... Finally, if all the lines are good, then it is a bad diverter valve.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Preventive maintenance for a wooden fence
- How to clean a gas BBQ grill
- Affordable fire pits
- How to insulate your attic for winter
- Save time and money on winter storage
- Saving on your heating bill
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?