A Little Creativity: The Necessary Ingredient
by Debra Vaughn
No matter how much you read and learn about frugality, unless you use your imagination every now and then, you will end up spending your hard-earned money needlessly. Being creative is the true key to living a frugal and fulfilling life.
Creativity in not something that only a few gifted people possess. It is something that is inside each and every one of us. Some people's creative side is just buried a little deeper inside than in others. Remember what it was like when you were a child and you could come up with great games to play using a cardboard toilet paper roll and a bed sheet? You were creative then and you still are. The key is to unlock your creativity again.
Try letting your inner child out. Their intuition and imagination guide children. It is not until they grow up that they learn what "can and cannot be done." Do you think that if everyone outgrew their inner child there would be nearly the art and literature that we have today? Neither do I. So when you let your inner child out, forget all about the "cans and cannots" that you have learned so far.
Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Do you think that Alexander Graham Bell successfully invented the telephone on the first try? Me either. I dare say he failed many times before he got it right. People learn through trial and error. Who knows, you could be just like the man that invented bubble gum... by mistake!
Write your ideas down. Ideas can come to us at the oddest times in the most awkward of places. Most of my ideas occur to me as I am on the brink of sleep. Therefore, I keep a notebook beside my bed and write my ideas down, then when I am a bit more awake, I review my ideas. Keep a few notebooks easily accessible throughout the house so that you can write down your idea as soon as you get it.
Debra Vaughn is a stay at home mother to 3 young girls. She is a freelance write in her spare time.
Take the Next Step
- Subscribe to Inflation Fighters email newsletter. Each week we'll give you practical ways to fight back against the inflation that's trying to wreck your budget!
Trending on TDS
- Are you guilty of financial infidelity?
- Natural flea prevention
- Making a home office affordable
- Meaningful family traditions
- Planning a frugal themepark vacation
- Let your kids teach you to save money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- March bargains in supermarket and beyond
- 5 dumb ways to spend money on your kids Video
- 8 tips to successfully work from home
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in March
- 5 types of freebies you can snag today
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator