Do-It-Yourself Auto Welding?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I am an accountant on an ever shrinking family budget, who enjoys working on old cars. I have come upon a 1960 MGA Roadster that needs some parts of the frame welded before I can go much farther. And it will need other welding throughout the restoration.
While I am a fairly capable weekend carpenter, I have never wielded a welder. I was thinking of renting an arc welder and reading a few manuals and practicing on some junk to get up to speed. Am I totally out of my league thinking I can do this? I mean, high school boys do this at the vocational tech schools don't they? How hard can it be? Do you have any advice? Thanks.
Well, if you were just going to join two metals that's one thing, but the frame? If your welds are not strong then it could lead to disaster. I have no issue with you doing it once you are certain that you can do it correctly. If you think that this is something that you might be doing a lot of, then you have think about purchasing a used mig machine and really putting in some practice time.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- 5 steps to saving money with a lasagna garden
- Buying a lease/option home
- Affordable fences
- Fixing up furniture the frugal way
- How a "time of use" meter could reduce your electric bill
- 10 ways to set up a home office without blowing your budget
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?