Delicious Zucchini Dessert
by Patti Chadwick
Zucchini is usually more than abundant this time of year. Want a delicious way to use that plentiful crop? Try this tasty recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It's a dessert you will love and a great way to get your kids to eat this prolific vegetable!
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 2-1/2 cup flour
- 3/4 cup butter
- 2-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Combine flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon and cocoa and set aside. Beat butter and sugar until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add zucchini. Mix in dry ingredients alternately with milk. Mix well. Pour into a bundt cake pan or a tube pan, that has been greased and floured or sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until firm on top. Frost with chocolate gloss below:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1oz. square of unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 c water
- dash of salt
- 1-1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine sugar, cornstarch and add chocolate, salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cook, stirring until thickened and bubbly and chocolate melts. Remove from heat; add butter and vanilla. While hot, frost cake.
Patricia Chadwick is a freelance writer. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in Biblical Studies and has been a stay-at-home mom for 15 years. She lives with her husband John and her 4 children in Batavia, NY. She is also founder and publisher of History's Women, an on-line magazine highlighting the extraordinary achievements of women. Visit Patti's site at www.historyswomen.com
Trending on TDS
- A great way to save for your kids' college TDS Recommends
- Are there any good generic dog food brands?
- A financial safety net for single moms
- Keeping your kids well-clothed for less
- Fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- Kids' parties: Keeping the expenses down while turning up the fun
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in May
- Raising a child with financial smarts Video
- Savings challenge: Make your own fresh dog food
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator