Replacing a Belt Tensioner
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
What is a belt tensioner? Can I replace it easily myself and avoid the overhead. I have an '89 Cavalier. I was told that it is bad and that it would cost $350 to replace.
A belt tensioner keeps the proper tension in the serpentine belt. It is simply bolted to the engine is some fashion. This is definitely something that the do-it-yourselfer can do if you know how.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Your trickiest cleaning problems solved
- How to eliminate mosquitos for less Insider Report
- Choosing a roadside assistance plan
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?