What's special about cleaning a gas fireplace?
Cleaning a Gas Fireplace
I moved into a 10-year-old house two years ago. It had a natural gas line going to the fireplace with artificial logs. Not knowing whether it had been used previously for burning wood, I had the chimney swept I've decided to stick with gas logs. How often need I have the chimney cleaned in the future?
Lucky you! You probably don't ever have to clean it again. The exhaust from gas logs is primarily water vapor, some carbon dioxide and, if combustion is not efficient, some carbon monoxide. These combustion byproducts are not corrosive and leave no residue to speak of so they will have no significant short-term effect on the lining of your chimney.
Calculator: Home equity loan vs line of credit
Of course, it is wise to have an occasional checkup by a pro just to make sure that no cracks have developed in the chimney liner or, if you have a metal chimney, that it has not become rusty. Leakage of the moist exhaust into the walls around the chimney could result in typical moisture related problems ... lifting paint, rotting wood, mildew and insect infestation. This inspection should not cost very much, and should be done at least every 3 to 5 years.
copyright 2000 G.G. Alonzy
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Have a small home repair question for THE NATURAL HANDYMAN? Just click here naturalhandyman.com/aitikia. For more home repair information, visit NH's growing list of original home repair articles and quality links naturalhandyman.com. If this information has been valuable to you, please consider making a small donation to support NH's free service to the home repair community! For more information, please visit our "Friends" page naturalhandyman.com/friends.
The Natural Handyman Site Directory
- Home Repair Articles naturalhandyman.com/iip
- Home Repair Links Library naturalhandyman.com/linkslibrary
- NH's Bookshop naturalhandyman.com/bookshop
- Find a handyman at naturalhandyman.com/network
- Win unique home repair gifts and prizes at naturalhandyman.com/contest. Please read the important copyright and disclaimer information is located at naturalhandyman.com/copyright
Take the Next Step
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
- Visit our "Handy Household Tips" board today!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?