What Is Dexacool?
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Yesterday I did a coolant flush on my girlfriend's Saturn. I filled it with regular anitfreeze and water in a 50/50 solution, like I thought I was supposed to. I was having a conversation with my friend later that day and he asked me if her car was supposed to use something that sounded like dexacool. Not sure on the spelling. He told me that if it was a dexacool system, and I put antifreeze in there, it would eat away all the seals it touches. This scares me because I performed the same task in the same manner over a year ago to her car. Please advise a.s.a.p. if this is bad, what the effects are, and what course of action to take. Thanks.
Lots of people have been asking me this question, is dexacool compatible with regular coolant and visa versa? As far as my research has gone, the only difference is the long life additive in the dexacool. I have talked with dealerships and several manufactures (Prestone included) and they all say that they are compatible.
Originally, I was under the impression that they were not and that a chemical reaction could occur (like gelling and the like). I think that may have been one of those myths that start when new products like this hit the market. I have not been able to confirm nor deny it.
One dealership stated that I "should not mix the two" and gave no reasons why. Another stated "as long as all of the dexacool is flushed out, there should be no problems". And yet another, which matches what information could be found on the Prestone site, indicated "There is no problem with mixing, you will only lose the long life ability of the dexacool". People have reported back to me, that after making the switch, there were no bad side effects.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Deck clean-up and repair
- How not to become 'house poor'
- Pricing garage sale items
- Free and extremely cheap sources of mulch
- Creating an outdoor room on a budget
- How to frugally remove a tree
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How spring cleaning can save you money
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?