A/C & Gas Mileage
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Can you settle an argument between me and my girlfriend? She thinks using the air conditioning makes a big difference on gas mileage, I say its small potatoes next to the general tips I've heard about reducing rapid starts, speeding, and re-starting. The other day she left work for lunch down the street, found herself running low on gas ('E'!) and low in time, so to get back to work, she says she shut off the air. Do you have any figures on how much gas is used to run the air conditioning?
Using that air conditioning adds about 10 to 20% load to the engine. But, it depends on what type of motor you have. A 4 cylinder engine will feel the effects of turning on the a/c a lot more than a 8 cylinder does.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Trending on TDS
- 4 costly car maintenance mistakes to avoid
- 5 common ways you are killing your car
- 5 easy DIY car maintenance moves for fall
- Where can I check for complaints about car dealers before I shop?
- 7 smart steps to switching your car insurance
- How to choose new tires
- How to negotiate an auto insurance claim
- Buying a used rental car
- Are you overpaying? Find a better auto insurance rate .
- Auto loan calculator
- Should you buy or lease you next car?
- Is a new car or used car best for your next purchase?
- Auto down payment calculator
- More helpful auto calculators