courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I have a 1992 Dodge Ram (12-passenger) van. I have a problem with the floors (carpeted) mysteriously accumulating moisture. This happens most noticeably in summer and also if something is left on the floor. It doesn't seem to make any difference if the weather is wet or dry. The moisture seems to come from underneath the carpet. Then of course it smells musty. Do you have any idea what is going on? Thanks.
On the bottom of most cars are drain hole or ports. This car may have been flooded at one time and the ports were opened and never resealed. Or it could just be that the sealing material has dried up and cracked, allowing water to get through. But I would bet that if you lifted up the carpets, all the under padding is saturated. That is why the carpets get wet when you put something down on them. If the floor pans are tight and don't leak, then it's coming though a leaky window. To find the leak, simply have someone sit inside and watch while someone outside soaks the car with a garden hose.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
More Money-Saving Tips for Your Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- How we saved $34k in interest on our mortgage before closing
- Buying an insurance-friendly car
- Tips for painting a basement floor Readers' Solutions
- This week's Readers' Tips
- Should I use a HELOC for home remodeling and repairs
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?