There's nothing more costly than throwing out food infested with bugs
Eliminating Food Bugs
All-Natural Ant Repellent
Do you have tips on how to get rid of "food bugs" (the kind that flourish in flour, grains, etc.) If you could publish some suggestions (other than using tightly sealed containers)?
I would greatly appreciate it.
Bay Leaves Keep Food Bugs Away
I use bay leaves in all grain products from popcorn to flour, rice to cornmeal and have never had bug problems. You can buy the large container of bay leaves at Sam's. It works.
Store in the Freezer
Don't you hate the little critters? These bugs many times come in the items you buy (at least in egg form).
The best thing to do with your food (besides tight containers, which only prevent spreading) is to store those items in the freezer. The eggs cannot hatch, the bugs cannot grow and multiply and destroy your food. It's nasty to think that there might be microscopic eggs in your food, but we live with microscopic creatures on and in our bodies all of the time.
If you have an ongoing infestation, you need to get rid of everything that is touched by the bugs and completely clean your cupboard(s).
There are some traps available for some of the bugs. I used some made for those moths and it worked great, but I still had to throw away a lot of food that they got into before the traps were set. The exterminator can help with others once you've tossed infected items. Then, when you purchase new flour or cornmeal, make sure you put it in the freezer until you're ready to use it.
Don't buy food in stores where you see the pests. Check packages of dry food and flour for loose flaps or tiny holes. If it is leaking a small amount it already may be infested. Throw out any food that is infested.
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
A Word of Advice from the Exterminator
I used to get the pasta bugs in my pantry all the time. They would travel to the rice and various side dishes and infest everything. I ended up throwing everything away. Then I had the exterminator in and this is what he suggested: When you buy pasta from the market, put it in the freezer for 2 - 3 days. This supposedly kills all such larva.
Since doing this we no longer have a problem.
Debt is preventing me from taking a vacation this year or the vacation I'd like to take this year! Tell us: Yes, debt is affecting my vacation plans! or No, we're going exactly where we want to go but we'd love to learn make our trip as inexpensive as possible!
Take the Next Step
- Looking for affordable pest control solutions? DIY pest control could be just the answer!
- Could spending 5 minutes reading a newsletter twice a week save you time and money every day? Dollar Stretcher Tips readers think so. Subscribe and find out how many ideas stretch your day and your dollar! Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE.
More Money-Saving Tips for Families
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- The 11 best bargains at the checkout counter in May
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Sharing a house with another family
- Buying the best backpack for your back and your budget
- 5 fun recipes to keep the kids busy this summer
- What's it like selling Avon products?