Eliminating Food Bugs
All-Natural Ant Repellent
Do you have tips on how to get rid of "food bugs" (the kind that flourish in flour, grains, etc.) If you could publish some suggestions (other than using tightly sealed containers)?
I would greatly appreciate it.
Bay Leaves Keep Food Bugs Away
I use bay leaves in all grain products from popcorn to flour, rice to cornmeal and have never had bug problems. You can buy the large container of bay leaves at Sam's. It works.
Store in the Freezer
Don't you hate the little critters? These bugs many times come in the items you buy (at least in egg form).
The best thing to do with your food (besides tight containers, which only prevent spreading) is to store those items in the freezer. The eggs cannot hatch, the bugs cannot grow and multiply and destroy your food. It's nasty to think that there might be microscopic eggs in your food, but we live with microscopic creatures on and in our bodies all of the time.
If you have an ongoing infestation, you need to get rid of everything that is touched by the bugs and completely clean your cupboard(s).
There are some traps available for some of the bugs. I used some made for those moths and it worked great, but I still had to throw away a lot of food that they got into before the traps were set. The exterminator can help with others once you've tossed infected items. Then, when you purchase new flour or cornmeal, make sure you put it in the freezer until you're ready to use it.
Don't buy food in stores where you see the pests. Check packages of dry food and flour for loose flaps or tiny holes. If it is leaking a small amount it already may be infested. Throw out any food that is infested.
A Word of Advice from the Exterminator
I used to get the pasta bugs in my pantry all the time. They would travel to the rice and various side dishes and infest everything. I ended up throwing everything away. Then I had the exterminator in and this is what he suggested: When you buy pasta from the market, put it in the freezer for 2 - 3 days. This supposedly kills all such larva.
Since doing this we no longer have a problem.
Learn More About Food Bugs
I highly recommend the following website: www.agnr.umd.edu
Buy groceries, earn cash back at Checkout 51
This is the Univ of MD extension and once you get there, click on "publications" and then on "pantry pests" for a helpful PDF file.
Take the Next Step
- Get more great time and money saving ideas in your inbox aimed to help you 'live better...for less'. Subscribe to Dollar Stretcher Tips newsletter, a twice weekly look at how to stretch your day and your dollar!
- Looking for affordable pest control solutions? DIY pest control could be just the answer!
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What you shouldn't (and should) buy in September
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
Rehab your poor financial habits before tackling the bad behavior of your kids.
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Get your kids involved with their school lunches
- 6 ways work-at-home moms can find temporary childcare
- Ask The Dollar Stretcher: Simple recipes for picky eaters? Video
- Financial tips for your college-bound student
- The perks of part-time work
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator