Pop Goes the Battery
courtesy of Bob, The Auto Answer Man
I drive a 1991 Mercury Sable. A few days ago my battery blew up. The battery was about 2.5-3 years old and never had any problems. Until then. I've heard that temperatures can have an effect on batteries. It was about 65 degrees out that day and I had been driving for less then 15 minutes. I shut the car off and went into a store, came out and the second I turned the key......Boom! Then some "smoke" came out from the hood so I opened the hood to find my battery in pieces. The top was in about 5 pieces and one side was blown off. I put a new battery in and now its fine. Please help me. I have worked in a junk yard and have seen just about everything but this is new.
Generally batteries explode like that when they are shorted. They heat up very fast and ignite the fumes inside. I would check the starter for a short. Good Luck!
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Top 10 DIY mistakes made by home 'handymen'
- Tha basics of financing a home improvement project
- 4 secrets to budgeting for a home purchase
- Getting rid of hornets
- Does home ownership or renting make more sense in retirement? Expert Interview
- Finding an affordable safe handyman
- Make your decor pop with these little things
- Affordable window treatments
- Make a game room for your family on a dime
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Should I borrow from my home equity?
- How much can additional payments save me on my mortgage?
- Who offers the most home insurance discounts?