Creative Children's Gift Giving
by Darlene Howell
Create a More Meaningful, Less Expensive Christmas
Stretching those dollars can sometimes be hard when it is gift giving time. I have used this recipe to make gifts for children at Birthday time and Christmas. It is also a great activity for you to do with your children or grandchildren to pass the time away on a hot or rainy day. To use the recipe as a gift you can mix up different colors and put in separate containers. I use either saved butter containers that do not have the butter advertisement on it or zip lock bags. I also buy inexpensive cookie cutters and add them as well as a copy of the recipe for mom to make more later. The kids love it and it does not cost as much as the store boughten ones. Most people have the ingredients in their cabinet already.
Homemade play dough
- 2 cups of flour
- 4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 cup of salt
- 3 tbsp. oil
- 2 cups of water
- food coloring (optional)
Add ingredients to a heavy saucepan and stir together until well blended.
Add food coloring to water for best results. (you can add coloring later and mix well if dividing to make several colors after made) Put the pan on the stove over medium heat. Cook and stir until ingredients pull away from the sides of the pan. Let play dough cool for a few minutes and then knead. It is now ready to use. It will keep for weeks in a plastic bag or sealed container. Recipe may be doubled.
Darlene Howell is the Publisher of "Grandmas Keeping in Touch" newsletter. She is the mother of 3 grown children with 5 grandchildren. You'll find other similar recipes and ideas in her free monthly newsletter "Grandma's Keeping in Touch". To subscribe send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Trending on TDS
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- What's on sale in October
- 5 ways kids learn and earn from Minecraft
- Bad with money? Teach your kids to get it right
- How to help your children retire millionaires
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- Readers share their Halloween costumes Slideshow
- Improve your marriage without expensive counseling
- 10 affordable father-daughter dates
- 10 ways to reduce college costs for your kids
- Top 5 tips for packing a healthier lunchbox
- Money-saving ideas for working moms
- 5 teen bedroom decorating tips
- Pursuing your dream of staying home with your children
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator