Dining Out for Less
by Debra Vaughn
10 Tips for Dining Out on the Cheap
Frugal Fine Dining
Eating dinner at a restaurant is one of those wonderful conveniences that almost everyone looks forward to once in a while. The problem is that it can add up to quite a bill. Try these tips to cut the cost of the final bill:
- Eat lunch instead of dinner. Prices at most restaurants are significantly lower for lunch and you get about the same amount of food.
- Always get a doggie bag. If you have left over food, bring it home! Chances are good that it will make a wonderful lunch for the next day.
- Save dining out for special occasions, not just because you forgot to take something out for dinner.
- Save on the tip by getting your food to go.
- Eat dessert somewhere other than the restaurant. These tasty treats are often overpriced. If you insist on having dessert at the restaurant, share it with someone else.
- If you are in an unfamiliar place, ask a local where they grab their lunch.
- Never be shy about telling the server that the portion was too small. They usually bring more.
- If you are not satisfied with the service or meal, don't be afraid to tell the manager. They will often knock a percentage off your ticket. If the manager does not help you, call the corporate office.
- Eat at buffets on those days that you are especially hungry.
- Fill out the suggestion/comment card. They sometimes send coupons or complimentary freebees.
- Water is always free at restaurants but if you want a little excitement, ask the server for some lemon slices. Magic! Lemonade!
Debra Vaughn is a stay at home mother to 3 young girls. She is a freelance writer in her sparetime.
Take the Next Step
- A deal a day great things to do, eat, see, & buy in your area.Shop Groupon.com today!
- Do you struggle to get ahead financially? Then you'll want to subscribe to our free weekly Surviving Tough Times newsletter aimed at helping you 'live better...for less'. Each issue features great ways to help you stretch your dollars and make the most of your resources. Subscribers get a copy of our ebook Little Luxuries: 130 Ways to Live Better...For Less for FREE!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
More Tips & Tools to Help You
Live Better...For Less
- Is your family normal? See how other households spend their money
- 5 big bills you can cut fast
- 5 frugal ways to expand your living space
- Where to find the best deals in February
- 4 steps to a simpler (and more frugal) life
- When your teen is ready for their first car
- Save over $2000 in baby's first year
- Get rid of lice for good!
- Ways to avoid the high cost of a divorce
- What is the cost of raising a child?
- Spouse income calculator
- Should my spouse work, too?
- College savings calculator
- Home budget calculator