Dining Out for Less
by Debra Vaughn
10 Tips for Dining Out on the Cheap
Frugal Fine Dining
Eating dinner at a restaurant is one of those wonderful conveniences that almost everyone looks forward to once in a while. The problem is that it can add up to quite a bill. Try these tips to cut the cost of the final bill:
- Eat lunch instead of dinner. Prices at most restaurants are significantly lower for lunch and you get about the same amount of food.
- Always get a doggie bag. If you have left over food, bring it home! Chances are good that it will make a wonderful lunch for the next day.
- Save dining out for special occasions, not just because you forgot to take something out for dinner.
- Save on the tip by getting your food to go.
- Eat dessert somewhere other than the restaurant. These tasty treats are often overpriced. If you insist on having dessert at the restaurant, share it with someone else.
- If you are in an unfamiliar place, ask a local where they grab their lunch.
- Never be shy about telling the server that the portion was too small. They usually bring more.
- If you are not satisfied with the service or meal, don't be afraid to tell the manager. They will often knock a percentage off your ticket. If the manager does not help you, call the corporate office.
- Eat at buffets on those days that you are especially hungry.
- Fill out the suggestion/comment card. They sometimes send coupons or complimentary freebees.
- Water is always free at restaurants but if you want a little excitement, ask the server for some lemon slices. Magic! Lemonade!
Debra Vaughn is a stay at home mother to 3 young girls. She is a freelance writer in her sparetime.
Take the Next Step
- A deal a day great things to do, eat, see, & buy in your area.Shop Groupon.com today!
- Subscribe to our weekly "Surviving Tough Times" newsletter by sending an email to
This free html newsletter will provide ways to survive in this challenging economy. Each issue features nine articles to help you stretch your dollar!
Share your thoughts about this article with the editor: Click Here
Also in Family
- How to save on and enjoy a multi-family vacation
- Improve your sleep for less
- 4 tips for enjoying a ‘staycation’
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- Grocery items you can find on sale in April
- How to rein in a spending spouse
- Frugal living ideas for the large family
- 6 popular and free money-saving apps