When to Replace Your Tires
4 Ways to Extend the Life of Your Car
How to Avoid Hidden Tire Costs
How can I tell when my tires need replacing?? Is there an "at home" test I can do or do I need to take my vehicle into a tire dealer?? Current set has almost 50,000 miles on them and tread doesn't appear too deep any longer.
There is a quick way to check tire depth even if you don't have a depth gauge. Take a penny and hold it so that Lincoln's head is facing up. Then take the penny and stick his head into the tire tread. If you can see the top of his head, then you need new tires. If you can see his hair, time to start shopping. If all you see is his forehead, then you got plenty of time. But, with 50,000 miles, I would think that you got your money's worth out of those tires. They usually get worn on the inside faster then on the outside. So, I would start shopping for a set now.
Bob, The Auto Answer Man
Have a car care question? Visit our automotive center and see if we've already answered it or a similar question.
Also in Home
- Tricks to painting interior trim
- Affordable chimney care
- Do-it-yourself brick walkways
- The pros and cons of having a homeowners association
- 5 places to find free firewood
- Homemade detergent for HE washing machines
- 5 best budget decorating tips under $20
- How to make garden stones
- 5 ways your house can make you go broke
- 5 simple and affordable luxuries for your home
- Does staging really raise a home's price?
- 5 home renovation can raise your insurance rate -- or lead to discounts
- The right way and wrong way to pay down your mortgage
- 6 cheap, effective home security solutions
- 3 ways (and 1 reason) to refinance a HELOC
- 6 home projects that don't pay for themselves
- Should I refinance my home equity line?
- Find the best mortgage rates in your area
- 3 ways to use a mortgage calculator
- Mortgage calculator: Calculate your payment and more
- Home equity calculator: HELOC vs. line of credit
- Mortgage refinance break-even calculator
- How much money can I borrow for a mortgage?